Re: use-package.el -> Emacs core

From: John Wiegley
Subject: Re: use-package.el -> Emacs core
Date: Mon, 09 Nov 2015 17:37:39 -0800

> I notice it has two dependencies that are not in core though, which would
> have to be shed.

bind-key.el would come with it, since it's a companion library. It provides a
convenience wrapper around both `define-key' and `kbd'. I suppose we ought to
discuss that separation if there are questions.

diminish.el is only loaded if available, although the fact that it's not in
core would indeed mean moving that support out of use-package and into an
external add-on. Fortunately, the use-package architecture makes this easy to
do.

I'd rather not rename to package-config, since it's not related to package.el,
and a strong association by name could get confusing.

> If it gets added, I'll probably have a look at its internals and ask your
> permission to make some changes where there might be redundancy with
> package.el internals.

Sure, though I'd be surprised if that were any code they shared.

John