Re: ELPA policy

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: ELPA policy
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2015 23:16:18 +0200

On 11/10/2015 10:34 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

Grep doesn't scale well to large projects, IME.  You get too many
false positives.

We can also check the "inside string or comment" status, as well as use the Emacs syntax tables to make sure that the match begins and ends at symbol boundaries appropriate for the file's language. Everything necessary for that is already written (and you can try it out by calling project-find-regexp and using something like \_<tool_bar_items\_> as the regexp). I don't think that id-utils does anything more to weed out false positives.

Grep is still probably going to be slower than at least some of the tools in question. Could you test, on a large project of your choice?

Outdated databases are easy to avoid with the likes of cron jobs.
Yes, that's hand-holding, but when you have to quickly find stuff in a
project with 3 million lines of code and thousands of classes, there
really is no other alternative.

Yes. But the xref commands should be easy to use. Even if the above is not rocket science, the user would still have to know what they need to do to get up-to-date results. (Believe it or not, I haven't created a single cron job for code writing purposes in my life, and I don't know its syntax for the time intervals. I'm likely not alone in that.)