Re: Questioning the new behavior of `open-line'.

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Questioning the new behavior of `open-line'.
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2015 22:15:29 +0200

> From: John Wiegley <address@hidden>
> Cc: Karl Fogel <address@hidden>,  address@hidden,  address@hidden
> Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2015 11:13:34 -0800

> > People who don't like electric-indent-mode can just turn it off, can't they?
> > Why argue about defaults when they can be so easily changed?
>
> This is more about people who want to use electric-indent-mode, but don't want
> it changing previous defaults in a way that doesn't seem to be related to
> electric-indent-mode.

Having the cake and eating it, too?  I'd love that!  But it isn't
always possible.

> I can imagine a new user experiencing this and having no clue that
> electric-indent-mode is the reason: Because it is enabled by default for them
> in 25.1 -- they never consciously turned it on to notice the difference in
> behavior -- so they wouldn't know it's coming from that source.

New users don't have past experience with Emacs, so they won't know
there's something here that wasn't so before.

> Why is something like this being enabled by default, again? Or did I misread?
> I would expect any kind of automated behavior like this to be opt-in.

You are welcome to re-reading the past discussions about
electric-indent-mode.  Good luck keeping your sanity while at that ;-)