Re: ELPA policy

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: ELPA policy
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2015 17:34:21 -0500

  > Richard, do think such as system would be viable copyright-wise?

In terms of copyright, there is no difference between the system I
proposed (installing what Drew puts in certain web pages) and the
method Drew doesn't like, which is for him to install the same changes
via Git.

Whichever method he uses, he technically could install code written by
others whom we don't have papers for.  If we permit him to use Git to
install changes, that entails trusting him to handle this
responsibility.  If we can trust him to do it with one method, we can
trust him to do it with the other method.

  > We should also consider whether this is sound from the security
  > standpoint. I mean, pushing the code to ELPA without any review from the
  > core developers.

The same would occur if we invite him to install changes in his packages
through Git.

If we can check enough one way, we can check enough the other way.

--
Dr Richard Stallman