RE: ELPA policy

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: ELPA policy
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2015 15:03:10 -0800 (PST)

>   > > We can make the security tighter.  Drew, are you willing
>   > > to GPG-sign your new versions?
>
>   > I don't really know what that entails.
>
> It means you would make diffs to show the change to install,
> plus a log entry, sign that whole thing with GnuPG, and mail
> it to a certain address.  The signature would demonstrate it
> came from you.
>
> Is that ok for you?

I have no problem creating diffs & log entries, and emailing
them in.  I've mailed in plenty of patches that way.

Dunno what "sign that whole thing with GnuPG" entails.  What
is needed for that (e.g., on MS Windows)?

Looking at the doc at https://www.gnupg.org/documentation/howtos.html
and http://www.dewinter.com/gnupg_howto/english/GPGMiniHowto-2.html,
it seems I would need to install GnuPG from source code,
using a C compiler etc.  I don't plan to install and use tools
such as a C compiler on my laptop, so I guess the answer would
be no; sorry.

If there were an easy-to-use Windows binary for such signing,
then I would probably do as you propose.

(I don't do software development anymore.  I use MS Windows
binaries of Emacs, and I write some Emacs-Lisp code.  I do
have (an old version of) Cygwin installed, so that I can use
a few simple commands from within Emacs.  That's about it.)

I don't mean to make a big deal about this.  I'm not saying
no definitively.  But AFAIK there is not necessarily even
any interest in adding any of the code I've written to Emacs.
I don't feel like going through a lot of preparation for
nothing.

My libraries are there, and have been for quite a while.
If someone is really interested in something, let me know
and maybe we can work something out.  Otherwise, we are
likely wasting each other's time here.  I don't mean to
waste your time.  (But I do appreciate your having
considered this.)

Again, my original point was about MELPA and updates to
it from the wiki.  And again, my use of MELPA is likely
not typical.  Perhaps I should have said nothing at all
about it.