Re: Debugging Emacs

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Debugging Emacs
Date: Sat, 28 Nov 2015 22:38:27 +0200

> > But I will now stop writing comments to a text I didn't yet see, and
> > let you work on it instead ;-)
>

> It was at the bottom of the original email!

I thought you were rewriting it for inclusion in etc/DEBUG.  Sorry for
my misunderstanding.

> While I am mailing, I had one idea which might simplify debugging.
> Currently, you need to break-point some function to get control to GDB
> before you launch Emacs.

Sorry, I don't understand this: if you run Emacs from GDB, then GDB
already has control before you launch Emacs.  So what is exactly the
problem you encountered?

Do you mean get control to GBD _after_ Emacs is launched?  If so, why
do you need that?  You could set breakpoints where you need them
before running Emacs, can't you?

> Why not add a null function to Emacs core for the purpose?
> Guaranteed never to be called from anywhere, does nothing, and with
> a breakpoint could be added to .gdbinit. Then, after running Emacs,
> "M-x break" would automatically pass control back to GDB without any
> further set up.
>
> Just a thought.

Sometimes I don't want to set a breakpoint before running Emacs,
because Emacs would hit that breakpoint many times during startup.  If
this is the problem you needed to solve, then I use Fredraw_display
for that purpose (I've added that to DEBUG at some point).  There are
other similar functions which can be used in the same role.

But maybe I'm confused by your needs, see above.