Re: reftex.el autoloads

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: reftex.el autoloads
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2015 20:33:37 +0000

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> From: address@hidden (Phillip Lord)
>> Cc: <address@hidden>,  <address@hidden>,  <address@hidden>
>> Date: Sat, 12 Dec 2015 21:15:46 +0000
>>
>> Or, as an alternative, implied by this post:
>>
>> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2007-07/msg00320.html
>>
>> > So I think this change in its current incarnation is for the worse.
>> > Maybe if the autoloads were written into files that are not in CVS I'd
>> > be happier.
>>
>> Which was your comment at the time.
>
> Switching to checksums made the problem much more rare, so it went
> under the radar.  See my comments about _that_ later in the thread.

Where you say "that fixes it"? Checksums do reduce the problem, but then
if you use the same trick for many other files, it increases the problem
again.

I am still confused though. Is there any problem with either:

1) Putting autoloads into another file, and requiring that.
2) Just putting the autoloads into loaddefs.el.

The latter is the minimal change from where we are now. But 2) seems
better because it is much simpler.

Solution 2) also fixes a minor issue with the build. In a built emacs
try

rm lisp/eshell/eshell-groups.el
make check

This *should* rebuild eshell-groups.el but does not, while

rm lisp/loaddefs.el
make check

works fine. My knowledge of make is not that good, but some quick
searching suggests that there is no simple solution to this in the
makefile.

Phil