Re: mark expensive tests

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: mark expensive tests
Date: Mon, 04 Jan 2016 16:31:45 +0100

Paul Eggert <address@hidden> writes:

> Michael Albinus wrote:
>> I could start with it, in the emacs-25 branch. Those targets do cover #2,
>> #3 and #4 tests. Which make target shall we use for #1? "make check-smoke"?
>
> I was thinking that we use just 3 categories for cost, so #1 would be
> 'make check'. If there are some special tests that don't fall under
> the expensiveness axis, we can invent a new name for them.

Quoting John:

  Each test should be marked, and the test runner should take these into account
  and provide options for picking which grade of test (or lower) to be run. This
  way I can tell Nix to build and run #2 tests. 'make check' should run #2,
  'make fullcheck' should run #3, and there should be individual check targets
  for the tests in #4.

#1 are sanity (or smoke) tests, something which shall run <30 seconds,
and maybe recommended to run prior any commit (or push) to emacs repo.

Best regards, Michael.