Re: mark expensive tests

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: mark expensive tests
Date: Fri, 08 Jan 2016 10:58:47 +0200

> From: address@hidden (Phillip Lord)
> Date: Thu, 07 Jan 2016 22:14:19 +0000
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> >>      make check        sanity tests
> >>      make morecheck    sanity tests + regular tests
> >>      make fullcheck    sanity tests + regular tests + extensive tests
> >
> > Sure, that's fine.  Or we can do what coreutils does:
> >
> > make check
> > make check-expensive
> > make check-very-expensive
>
> It's rather inconsistent with "clean" which puts the qualifier first.
>
> It's worth mentioning that I've already added
>
> make check-maybe
>
> to master, and it is consistent with that.
>
> check-maybe is often much faster than make check. The heuristic it
> uses for identify which tests should run will break, of course, but it's
> probably quick enough to run on a pre-commit hook most of the time.

Whatever you guys agree to call those targets, please document them in
README.  They are currently semi-documented in Makefile.in, which is
not a good place for this stuff (the new targets don't seem to be
documented at all, btw).  Likewise with the way to run a test under
debugger, which is hinted upon somewhere in the comments to
Makefile.in (and also doesn't really work without tinkering, AFAIR).

We really need to have a slightly better documentation of the test
suite, IMO.  Rather minor efforts can bring large benefits in this
area.

TIA