Re: 4K Bugs

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: 4K Bugs
Date: Fri, 08 Jan 2016 14:06:48 +0100

Alexis <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Alexis,

Thank you also for your feedback.

>>  - After installing debbugs, there is no obvious entry  point. M-x
>>    debugs-[tab] gives 30 different commands.
>
> Agreed; it took me a few moments to realise that debbugs-gnu was
> probably what i wanted.

Again, there is the README.

>>  - Bugs marked as "done" and "unreproducible" are displayed by
>> default.
>
> i would certainly prefer that "done" and "unreproducible" bugs were
> not displayed by default.

As said, for bugs marked "done" this might be the better default. Bugs
marked "unreproducible" are prominent candidates to be marked also as
"done", therefore they shouldn't be suppressed I believe.

> Well, as usual in these situations, i used C-h m (`describe-mode`) to
> find out what i can do; but yes, it might be useful to at least have
> one or two lines of text describing at least some of the possible
> commands (and maybe also, what the colours in the `State` field
> indicate).

README, again. It covers the offered commands. The states are described
in the User Guide. I wanted to show them also by example, but I have no
idea how to colorize text in texinfo. Is this possible?

> i'm a mu4e user, and when i try to send a control message .... Well,
> i'm not sure what happens. i get nothing to indicate a message was
> sent, but nothing to indicate it failed to be sent either. i can
> successfully use mu4e to reply to messages in the relevant bug thread,
> though.

Yes, a short message "Control message foo sent" might beuseful. Will do.

> Finally, i'd like to suggest that the `debbugs` manual be renamed to
> something like `debbugs-dev`, and the `debbugs-ug` manual be renamed
> to `debbugs`. In trying to find out what the colours in the `State`
> field indicated, i ran the `info-display-manual` command and specified
> `debbugs`; the result ("Debbugs Programmers Manual") surprised me, and
> it took me a while to realise that there's a `debbugs-ug` ("Debbugs
> User Guide") manual. My guess is that many more people are going to
> want to use the latter than the former; hence my rename
> suggestion. Perhaps it might also be useful to link to the User Guide
> from the `debbugs` UI?

I've mentioned the User Guide in the README now. And in the Programmer's
Guide, I've added a link to the User Guide.

> Alexis.

Best regards, Michael.