Leaving out non-applicable commands on Mx (was: 4K Bugs)

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Leaving out non-applicable commands on Mx (was: 4K Bugs)
Date: Sat, 09 Jan 2016 00:16:09 +0100

> address@hidden (Phillip Lord) writes:
>
>> I'm very late to this discussion, but inspired by Lar's bug fix spree I
>> decided to see if I could have a go myself. I found the process a little
>> confusing. Here are some points:
>>
>>  - After installing debbugs, there is no obvious entry point. M-x
>>    debugs-[tab] gives 30 different commands.
>
> Yeah, the `M-x' interface for discovering commands in Emacs sucks.

My experience with ido+flx is quite positive on this aspect, although it
could be made much better.

> We've discussed before adding mechanisms for leaving mode-specific
> commands out, but I was apparently the only one enthusiastic about
> it...

You'll better run MemTest on your brain, because that is not accurate by
a long stretch. :-)

I suggested this feature and volunteered for doing the boring work
(annotating functions with their related modes). On that discussion,
others mentioned that it is an interesting idea.

You sketched a possible implementation. If you are interested on
completing the part that requires a smart hacker, I'll do the part that
requires a dumb one :-)

[snip]