Re: Adding async package to GNU ELPA

From: Artur Malabarba
Subject: Re: Adding async package to GNU ELPA
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 2016 08:06:02 +0000

> Thierry Volpiatto <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Of course, but I said it is bad to have to insert informations in source
>> files when we can add a *-pkg.el file especially for this.
>> I guess you are doing that because some code on ELPA expect informations
>> in source file headers and then create the *-pkg.el file from this, and
>> IMO this should be changed for the benefit of ELPA.
>
> I would scond this proposal (providing an own *-pkg.el file). I'm
> thinking about adding Tramp to ELPA, and tramp.el does not carry version
> related information. A file tramp-pkg.el would solve this issue for
> Tramp.

Ok, I've had a look at Gelpa's admin/archive-contents.el, and I think
this can be done without introducing complexity.

Right now, it is structured more or less like this:
1. Read information from package headers;
2. Do some stuff with that information, one of which is to generate the
-pkg.el file.

Ideally, it would be reworked like this:
1. If absent, generate the -pkg.el file from the package headers (this
is the only moment where package headers would be read);
2. Read information from the -pkg.el file;
3. Do some stuff with that information.

That said, I can't be the one to do it for the foreseeable future.
Therefore, unless someone else steps up, the quickest way to get any of
the aforementioned packages on Gelpa is for them to comply with the
current framework.

Cheers,
Artur