Re: Adding async package to GNU ELPA

From: Artur Malabarba
Subject: Re: Adding async package to GNU ELPA
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 2016 13:49:00 -0200

On Jan 7, 2016 11:20 AM, "Michael Albinus" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Artur Malabarba <address@hidden> writes:
>
> >> Tramp needs its version string at different places. Therefore, the
> >> version is kept only in configure.ac.
> >
> > Would it be possible to keep it in tramp.el instead, and retrieve it
> > using `lm-version'?
>
> No. The whole idea of trampver.el is to keep the version string away
> from tramp.el. If the version string would be generated into
> tramp.el, the development must be applied in tramp.el.in. Not applicable.

I'm not talking about generating the version string into tramp.el.

IIUC, you manually write the version string only in configure.ac. (did I understand this correctly?)

What I'm saying is: could you write the version string only in tramp.el, instead of in configure.ac?
You could easily retrieve the version during ./configure with a simple (grep | sed) or with lm-version (in elisp).

This way tramp.el would still be static (no need for tramp.el.in).