Re: Adding async package to GNU ELPA

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Adding async package to GNU ELPA
Date: Thu, 07 Jan 2016 21:00:05 +0100

Artur Malabarba <address@hidden> writes:

>> No. The whole idea of trampver.el is to keep the version string away
>> from tramp.el. If the version string would be generated into
>> tramp.el, the development must be applied in tramp.el.in. Not
> applicable.
>
> I'm not talking about generating the version string into tramp.el.
>
> IIUC, you manually write the version string only in configure.ac. (did
> I understand this correctly?)

Yes.

> What I'm saying is: could you write the version string only in
> tramp.el, instead of in configure.ac?
> You could easily retrieve the version during ./configure with a simple
> (grep | sed) or with lm-version (in elisp).

As I said, the version string is used at several places in different
files of Tramp. This must be consistent, it is essential for Tramp.

Your propasal would mean to write an own expansion mechanism, instead of
using AC_SUBST.

Too much trouble. Since there is no urgent need, I'll wait how it
evolves with the request from Thierry (do not generate <foo>-pkg.el
mandatory). I believe this would be the best, consistent solution.

Best regards, Michael.