Re: Entering Unicode characters

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Entering Unicode characters
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2016 16:49:28 +0200

> From: Jean-Christophe Helary <address@hidden>
> Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2016 19:55:49 +0900
>
> There is an input system imported from smartphones that is being implemented
> on some desktop OSes.
>
> In my case it is OSX and it works like this: you choose a keyboard layout and
> then by pressing a key you know can have variants for 2 secs the list of
> variants is displayed along with a number under them. You can either use the
> arrows to select and enter the character or hit the corresponding number.
>
> I just selected the Turkish qwerty layout and when I hit g for 2 secs I get ğ
> as a possibility. When I am in the US layout I don't get this possibility. In
> US I get èéêëēėę for e, ÿ for y, ûüùúū for u (and similar options of other
> vowels), I also get ßśš for s. If I do the same with a capital letter
> (holding Shift + the letter) I get all the possible capital letters for the
> selected letter, for ex. S offers ŚŠ but no capital ß.
>
> That's a very convenient way to visually check and select characters.

I think you are describing how Emacs input method work.  Try this:

  C-u C-\ turkish-postfix RET

then type i and watch the echo area.

The advantage of Emacs input methods is that they don't depend on the
locale.  (The disadvantage is that they only affect Emacs; but for
someone who lives inside Emacs, that's not a problem ;-)