Re: xref and displaying locations in appropriate window or frame

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: xref and displaying locations in appropriate window or frame
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2016 21:43:31 +0300

On 01/27/2016 12:10 PM, martin rudalics wrote:
 > Why <= 2? Are you saying I should use some different function, after
 > applying the dedicated status and switch to the window O?

Did you try it?  In a default Emacs this won't split anything but either
reuse O or make a new frame.

Why is it a drawback of pop-to-buffer, though? It should work fine, as long as split thresholds have adequate values.

 > I thought pop-to-buffer is basically the default choice for displaying
 > a buffer when you're not sure which window to use.

It is.  But in a default Emacs you still won't get your third window.
You can't beat the system by using ‘pop-to-buffer’ alone.

I think "beating the system" here would be a wrong choice.

Which IMHO is no problem per se.  But you probably have to explain
somewhere that ‘xref-find-definitions-other-window’ _by default_ behaves
just like ‘xref-find-definitions’ when leaving *xref* visible.

You're right, it's a problem, and I don't know a good solution. It's not a great thing to have to document.