Re: Asynchronous DNS

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Asynchronous DNS
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2016 01:11:40 +0100

Async DNS has now been implemented in the feature/async-dns branch, and
I'm running that Emacs right now.  And it works!  I mean, eww no longer
gets those awkward pauses when resolving DNS names of image assets.
Whee!  Or placebo!  Whee!

There's quite a bit of cleanup remaining, though, and I'm probably
leaking memory ... somewhere...  And I'm not really happy with the way
I'm doing the polling, which required another process array in addition
to the chan_process table.  Surely a better way must exist, but the
process isn't entered into the chan_process table until the socket has
been created, and we can't create the socket before we've done the name
resolution, because we don't know whether it's going to be an IPv4
address or an IPv6 address.

If anybody else wants to start fiddling with the stuff, be my guest.
:-)  But I'm going to continue tinkering with it on the branch, and will
probably merge with the trunk in a few days.  It would be nice if people
on non-Linux systems could check whether it builds at all on those
systems before I do the merge...