Re: Next release from master

From: Alexis
Subject: Re: Next release from master
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2016 15:04:08 +1100

Dmitry Gutov <address@hidden> writes:

I'm sure Eli (and the rest of us) would be very happy to see you help with documentation.

i'm sorry Dmitry, but i don't agree with the notion that people who don't understand the code they're documenting should be the first ones to document it. :-P (Though of course, they can certainly help clarify things they feel aren't clear in /existing documentation.) i don't expect others to document the code of the packages i've written, because:

(a) others won't necessarily know what i /intended/ by the code, they can only work from what the code /seems/ to do. That makes it more difficult for non-me documenters to guess whether something is a bug or "working as intended".

(b) i don't assume that my time is much more valuable than other people's. i don't think it's a net gain for the Emacs community to have somebody else spending, say, an hour or two coming to grips with code for the purposes of documenting what they /think/ is going on, rather than me spending 5-10 minutes just writing the documentation in the first place.

(c) at a basic level, my point was not "i have a problem with Eli being the main person writing documentation" so much as "i have a problem with the fact that it's /necessary/ for Eli, /or anyone else/, to be having to write documentation for code they haven't written, because the developers of the code in question have treated documentation as Somebody Else's Problem". If you think that it's not important to provide documentation for the code you write, then okay, but that's not a position i share.

Having said all that, i'd be interested to hear John's thoughts on this matter (who i've cc'd), and will follow his lead on this.

Alexis.