Re: Next release from master

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Next release from master
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2016 20:08:28 +0200

> From: Óscar Fuentes <address@hidden>
> Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2016 05:58:22 +0100
>
> >> IMO it is very reasonable to require documenting the contributed
> >> changes. Without that, code reviews and testing are much harder.
> >
> > Not if the feature has appropriate docstrings and header commentary.
>
> I was talking about docstrings and, possibly, NEWS too.

No need, these are already included almost always.  The problem is the
manuals.

> > As far as I'm concerned, the manual is a separate universe which
> > requires additional knowledge to contribute to.
>
> This is reasonable, as long as we have people willing to work on it and
> that doesn't detract them from other more valuable work they would do
> instead.

We don't have such people, and probably never will.  This is not a
for-profit company which can go out and hire such people.  Our
community is driven by the desire to develop software, so we all quite
naturally don't want to "waste time" on documentation.  But if we
don't work on the documentation, we won't have any, at least not a
good one.