Re: Next release from master

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Next release from master
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2016 06:23:03 +0200

On 02/10/2016 06:04 AM, Alexis wrote:

(c) at a basic level, my point was not "i have a problem with Eli being
the main person writing documentation" so much as "i have a problem with
the fact that it's /necessary/ for Eli, /or anyone else/, to be having
to write documentation for code they haven't written, because the
developers of the code in question have treated documentation as
Somebody Else's Problem".

Of course it's a problem. And I would be happy to have to write my own documentation, provided nobody is expecting to see the next Emacs release anytime soon.

Unfortunately, since there are so few core developers, or people who take responsibility for various core packages, some of the time I could have used to work on the said documentation, I had to spend on e.g. fixing stuff in etags.el, or pieces of VC left broken by ESR's latest changes.

If you think that it's not important to
provide documentation for the code you write, then okay, but that's not
a position i share.

Not as important as working code, or fewer bugs in Emacs in general.