Re: Need help debugging Emacs: emacsclient will not draw its contents so

From: Mike Kupfer
Subject: Re: Need help debugging Emacs: emacsclient will not draw its contents sometimes
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2016 21:01:15 -0800

As suggested, I've opened a bug for this: #22728.

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> > From: Mike Kupfer <address@hidden>
> > cc: address@hidden
> > Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2016 18:05:52 -0800
> >
> > I ran "emacsclient -c" twice within a short period of time, and the
> > server log showed 2 frames being created.  So *some* code in Emacs
> > thought the first frame was created, even though it didn't show up
> > in the output from (frame-list).
>
> This means Emacs started creating the frame, but didn't finish that
> process.  A new frame is recorded in the frame list only when it is
> completely set up.  The question is: what happens during that process
> which prevents it from completing?
>
> At this point, it looks like instrumenting x-create-frame to write
> traces to some file might tell what causes that function to stop doing
> its job half way through.

Okay.  If someone provides a patch, I'd be happy to apply it on the
systems I run Emacs on.  I can also look at instrumenting
x-create-frame myself.  That will take longer to set up, but given how
long it is between occurrences of this problem, some initial delay
probably doesn't matter much.

I wonder if the problem is particular to a certain widget set.  If
anyone has suggestions for instrumenting the Athena (2D) widget set, I'd
welcome them.

> > And I still think it's suspicious that the bad frame seems to match a
> > frame that was deleted earlier.
>
> Was the deleted frame deleted from the frame list?

I'm not sure I understand the question.  The frame list that I looked at
on the 15th had these 3 frames:

  (#<frame address@hidden 0x4eba368>
   #<frame journal-2016.org 0x3073760>
   #<frame *GNU Emacs* 0x1128268>)

(This was after the bad frame was created.)

The log showed the deletion of

  #<frame Todo.krb5-issues 0x4343058>

on the 12th, and the creation of

  #<frame address@hidden 0x4343058>

on the 15th.  Let me know if that doesn't answer your question.

thanks and regards,
mike