Re: why was iso-acc.el removed from master?

From: Uwe Brauer
Subject: Re: why was iso-acc.el removed from master?
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2016 08:58:50 +0000

>>> "John" == John Wiegley <address@hidden> writes:

Hi John,

   >> I just run a git pull, and saw that iso-acc.el got removed.

   >> Why is this feature removed?

   > Hi Uwe,

   > We had a lengthy discussion on this list about when to deprecate
   > modules, and when to remove old ones, so that we can cease
   > maintaining them, and close out any bugs pertaining to them.

   > At the time, no one cried out for iso-acc.el to be kept.

That is one of the reasons for me to hang around here: to catch up such
discussions, but I must have missed it. Do you remember when it was
approximately?

   > My preferred method for restoring this behavior now would be for
   > you to become its maintainer in the form of a GNU ELPA package. Or,
   > if you have an argument as to why it should not be deleted from
   > Emacs -- aside from the fact that you yourself rely on it -- please
   > let me know.

Ok, this is fair enough, but I confess I use iso-accentuate, but I
actually do not understand much of it, I do understand more or less
iso-accentuate and  iso-deaccentuate but not the rest.

Eli just asked me what I need it for and I replied. So of course if
there were other solutions to my problem, this discussion would be
finished.

In case there are not and I would agree to be the maintainer, I then
have to sign FSF copyright? Could I do that by email (scanned signed
document)?

BTW since we are now in the 21 century, is there any change that one
could simply signed these papers by a pgp/smime key or are US courts not
that modern :'(

Uwe