Re: Why does the tutorial talk about C-n/C-p etc?

From: Tom
Subject: Re: Why does the tutorial talk about C-n/C-p etc?
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2016 11:36:19 +0000 (UTC)

Eli Zaretskii <eliz <at> gnu.org> writes:

> > I think we should first mention that arrow keys work, then invite
> > users to learn C-b etc. saying that editing will be faster.
>
> We already do precisely that.

If arrows keys work out of the box then C-p/n etc. should be
in a section called advanced cursor control or something like
that and it should be moved somewhere to the end.

Insertion and deletion, frames, undo, etc. are more important for
a new user than relearning the cursor keys, so emacs style cursor
movement can be considered an advanced topic which can be
learned after the user can use emacs with the arrow keys.

And if it's an advanced topic then it would be better placed
at the end of the tutorial with other advanced topics like recursive
editing after the basics like windows, undo and stuff.