Re: Why does the tutorial talk about C-n/C-p etc?

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: Why does the tutorial talk about C-n/C-p etc?
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2016 23:26:02 +0000

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> From: address@hidden (Phillip Lord)
>> Cc: address@hidden,  address@hidden,  address@hidden
>> Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2016 22:00:18 +0000
>>
>> > Isn't that a chicken-and-egg problem?  How can you have a tutorial
>> > that depends on enough knowledge needed to install ELPA packages?
>>
>> No, it's fine. The idea is that the basic tutorial (part of Emacs
>> tarball) runs up to the point of installing an ELPA package. That ELPA
>> package in the first instance will just be something that says "well
>> done". In the second instance, the ELPA package can do something
>> funkier, but one step at a time.
>
> So I guess the issue boils down to where are you drawing the line
> between the two parts.  Although it feels strange to have a tutorial
> divided in two, with the need to install an ELPA package in the
> middle.  But that's me.

No, you mistake my intention, and in answer to your question, where
should you draw the line; my feeling is that "installing a package" is
the end point of the tutorial. This makes sense to me, because
extensibility is a key feature of Emacs.

There is a practical benefit that we can extend the tutorial later if we
wish, independent of the release cycle.

Phil