Re: Seeking a "Patch Champion"

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Seeking a "Patch Champion"
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2016 23:27:37 +0300

On 04/25/2016 07:40 PM, Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen wrote:

I'm afraid I don't think this is likely to help much.  Since it's not
hooked up to the bug tracker, the list of patches on that site will just
grow increasingly outdated.  Having somebody herd a patch after it's
already been applied is a waste of everybody's time.

And I don't think adding yet another formality to the already pretty
complicated "apply this patch already" "work flow" (for want of a better
word) is the way to go.

I'm inclined to agree.

But the lost patch situation in Emacs is a genuine problem, and one that
I think may be disencouraging new contributors.  Here's what I think
should happen:

I don't know if it is: I've just went through the lists, and didn't find a single patch within my area of interest that had "fallen through the cracks". So I basically had to go and sort all of them into Accepted, RFC and Rejected. And several belonging to the issues where the discussions hadn't come to the conclusion yet (those I've left untouched).

1) Whenever somebody posts a patch to emacs-devel, and you don't feel
like applying it at once, tell them "send this via `M-x
report-emacs-bug', otherwise it'll never be applied".

This seems to work well enough. Until we have evidence to the contrary, the ability to show bugs with patches in debbugs should be sufficient, I think.

Or maybe Patchwork will help other contributors better, I don't know.

If we had switched to a better bug tracker, on the other hand... :)