Re: Seeking a "Patch Champion"

From: John Wiegley
Subject: Re: Seeking a "Patch Champion"
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2016 17:34:06 -0400

> Well, that's what happens to patches on emacs-devel.

Right now the Patchwork is tracking both -devel and -bugs. If tracking -bugs
is not useful, we can stop doing that.

> The ones submitted to the bug tracker never fade away.

No, but they fade into time, becoming irrelevant against the current version
of the code. I've had several people approach me directly and say that they
won't contribute to Emacs anymore, because their patches were left to rot in
debbugs.

The idea behind Patchwork is that it separates contributed code from (a)
discussions on emacs-devel and (b) problem reports in the bug tracker. A patch
has a great chance of saving us some work, because it's code we don't have to
write. I was hoping that Patchwork would call out these code contributions,
and shorten the time to acceptance.

If debbugs can be modified to just show unapplied patches, maybe this is all
we need. Part of the job of a patch champion would then be to create new
tickets on behalf of submitters who send their code to emacs-devel.