iimage.el and the size of the images

From: Uwe Brauer
Subject: iimage.el and the size of the images
Date: Tue, 03 May 2016 12:32:01 +0000

Hello

I just learn about iimage.el, which is now part of GNU emacs core. I
like it quite a lot, the only thing which I find a bit inconvenient on
my 12 inch Laptop is the size of the images displayed. I did not find
any variable in which the size of images could be changed.

The author's address does not work anymore, so I looked at the code it
seems that the essential part is this:

  (if arg
                  (add-text-properties (match-beginning 0) (match-end 0)
                                       `(display ,(create-image file)
                                                  ^^^^^
                                         modification-hooks
                                         (iimage-modification-hook)))

Now I checked that function and its documentation says
,----

| create-image is an autoloaded compiled Lisp function in ‘image.el’.
| (create-image FILE-OR-DATA &optional TYPE DATA-P &rest PROPS)
| Create an image.
| Images should not be larger than specified by ‘max-image-size’.
`----

However
,----
| max-image-size is a variable defined in ‘C source code’.
| Its value is 10.0
`----

So I cannot change that value easily. Anybody has an idea how to change
the size of the displayed images?

thanks

Uwe Brauer