Re: Redisplay: NS port, high CPU load

From: David Reitter
Subject: Re: Redisplay: NS port, high CPU load
Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2016 18:22:46 +1000

On Jun 9, 2016, at 11:03 AM, David Reitter <address@hidden> wrote:

> I can manually cause a call to update_frame_tool_bar by evaluating this
> expression.  I don’t have time to look further right now, but the call to
> Ffind_file_name_handler is a suspect.  See also below.

So far, I have traced it to the use of ENCODE_FILE  (encode_file_name) in
verify-visited-file-modtime:

 filename = ENCODE_FILE (BVAR (b, filename));

Now, file-name-coding-system is utf-8-hfs, and that setting is associated with
the error.  Setting it to ‘utf-8 makes the bug go away.

What can trigger a redisplay or menu/toolbar update in encode_file_name() for
utf-8-hfs?