Re: Bug #22983 (syntax-ppss returns wrong result) is still open. Could w

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: Bug #22983 (syntax-ppss returns wrong result) is still open. Could we fix it before the release, please.
Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2016 10:24:19 +0000

Hello, Stefan.

On Wed, Jun 08, 2016 at 08:43:43AM -0400, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> > My suggestion for a fix, discussed in the thread for the bug, is to come
> > up with a new function similar to syntax-ppss which always returns the
> > equivalent of
> >     (parse-partial-sexp 1 pos)
> > in place of syntax-ppss's
> >     (parse-partial-sexp (point-min) pos)

> Almost agreed, except that something should be able to control the "1".

You mean, maybe something like `syntax-ppss-base' which, if non-nil,
would be the "1".  Various bits of software (mainly super modes) could
then set or bind this to non-nil values.

> Most/all users of `syntax-ppss' indeed want to start "from the
> beginning", but in some cases "the beginning" they want isn't 1 (hence
> things like font-lock-dont-widen).

font-lock-dont-widen is ugly indeed.  Maybe syntax-ppss-base could be a
bit less ugly.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).