Re: font-lock-syntactic-keywords obsolet?

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: font-lock-syntactic-keywords obsolet?
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2016 10:22:19 +0000

Hello, Dmitry

On Sun, Jun 19, 2016 at 08:55:52PM +0300, Dmitry Gutov wrote:
> On 06/19/2016 08:15 PM, Alan Mackenzie wrote:

> > Yes, that is indeed the case.  Sorry I didn't spot that earlier.  The
> > same applies to an ordinary string, too, provided there are enough
> > escpaed new lines.

> So some operations in CC Mode are indeed O(buffer length)? That sounds
> like a problem.

Actually, an ordinary string isn't a problem, since in practice, only a
tiny number of lines end in escaped NLs.

The code for raw strings is actually very new - it was only committed a
week and a half ago.  By their very nature, unterminated raw strings are
a problem, since the terminating delimiter could occur anywhere later in
the buffer.  The trick has got to be to apply some artificial limit for
after-change processing until that terminating delimiter is inserted.

[ .... ]

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).