Re: Is it time to drop ChangeLogs?

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: Is it time to drop ChangeLogs?
Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2016 13:55:40 +0100

Noam Postavsky <address@hidden> writes:

> On Thu, Jul 7, 2016 at 7:29 AM, Phillip Lord <address@hidden> wrote:
>> At the moment, we have a poor workflow for supporting this.
>>
>>  - I can push a branch onto the Emacs git. But, this is not squashable,
>>    so the final state before the merge is hard to do
>>  - There is no system for queuing pull requests, so sometimes things get
>>    forgotten
>>  - I can send patches, but this is clunk compared to pushing a branch
>>    within version control.
>>  - There is no system for viewing feedback about an individual patch.
>>  - There is no system for adding inline comments to patches
>
> So maybe we just need some more support in vc-git to make sending
> patches less clunky?

Yes, that would help, assuming that it's not there already. But, again,
I still feel that patches are fairly "old school".

> I've been sending patches to bug threads, and often getting useful
> feedback on them (and since it's by email, the comments can easily be
> inline). Personally, I don't find it more clunky than pushing to a
> branch, and then opening a PR in a web browser.

This is true for the first patch, but not true for additional commits.

> Yes, some patches are forgotten, but I don't see how a PR "system"
> makes that less likely to happen, e.g., cask has a bunch of open PRs
> sitting around: https://github.com/cask/cask/pulls.

I think you have just demonstrated my point. You found out all the
outstanding ones also.

>> Perhaps, as a half way house, we could use the resources that we have.
>> PRs could go to the bug reporting system. This will, at least, keep all
>> the conversations in one place. If we can tag these with "has patch"
>> here as well, it will give an queue also.
>
> I thought that was the current system. Here is the queue:
> http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/pkgreport.cgi?package=emacs;include=tags%3Apatch;bug-rev=on

Again, also my point.

Phil