Re: Is it time to drop ChangeLogs?

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: Is it time to drop ChangeLogs?
Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2016 12:28:32 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> First, we do not have a system for managing PRs/patches in the
>> queue. So, it's possible that people with outstanding patches are
>> not busier than you, they just missed things.
>
> I just read the bug list and manage my email queue. How hard can that
> be?

It is okay, once you are used to it.

>> Secondly, in terms of pushing patches for someone else, this doesn't
>> need to be harder than reviewing the patch and signaling that you are
>> happy. Many PR management systems will do the merge after "LGTM".
>
> Problem is, I don't find the subtle fine points that need addressing
> until I actually apply the patch: compiler warnings, code not
> according to our conventions, sometimes patch won't apply, etc.

With a PR, it always applies. Compiler warnings obviously require an
integrated continuous integration system (i.e. the PR is pre-built,
tested and the potential merge is checked for conflicts).

>> I look at this the other way around. I think we are likely to get more
>> developers, if it is easier to contribute.
>
> I think we've already done a lot in that direction, and I don't see
> how can we be expected to do more.  All the other projects I
> participate in make it harder, and yet no one complains or thinks they
> are hard on contributors.

The fundamental complexity is contributing is the software engineering.
Tools do not really change that, of course, but that is not really a
reason for not using good tools.

>> I think I have discussed this with you before. You have to create
>> multiple feature branches, or do strange things, rather than just
>> rebase, force push.
>
> What's the problem with multiple branches?  It's a very easy
> technique, and also very safe.

I think a system where you start off with

feature/my-new-feature
feature/my-new-feature-1
feature/my-new-feature-2

with consecutive squashes is not a good system.

I think that the discussion is bottoming out here. If there is interest,
I will be happy to investigate some of the options and produce a report
of pros and cons. Alternatively, if the general feeling is, it's all
fine, then no worries, I'll leave it.

Phil