Re: Is it time to drop ChangeLogs?

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Is it time to drop ChangeLogs?
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2016 02:04:55 +0300

On 07/09/2016 10:00 AM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

I do use "git annotate" at first, but it will only show the last
commit that changed the code you are investigating, and I find this
too frequently to be some reformatting or other similar cleanup that
is not really what I want.

On the other hand, region-history will show you all commits that touched a given region. And you'll have to page through all of them if the interesting change happened long ago.

Then going back in history with "git
annotate" is inconvenient, so "git log -L" is better.

I find `a' very convenient.

In any case, the startup times of 'annotate' and 'log -L' are
comparable, and both are non-negligible.

Sure, but grepping through all NEWS or ChangeLog files doesn't happen instantly either.

This request is unreasonable.  If nothing else, it will make the bar
for contributing higher, not lower.  The information is recorded in
the bug discussion, and there's no need to reproduce it in the log
message.

We do encourage that, actually, though not require (bar for
contributing, etc). This can be especially useful when the issue is
not-to-complex, but the bug discussion is long.

Mentioned near "rationale for a change" in CONTRIBUTE.

Right, but this discussion is about the requirements, not about the
stuff for which one gets extra bonus points.

The arguments started with "ChangeLogs take a long time to write", but somehow mutated into "committers don't put the information I'd want into the entries".