Re: Compilation warnings in mouse.el

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Compilation warnings in mouse.el
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2016 11:42:45 -0400

> No, I meant a system where one doesn't have to do anything to have a
> group for a defcustom.  Nothing at all.

I guess we could do that, but I think we'd hear even more screams.

> If they must first check if there's a defgroup in the same file, and

The byte-compiler will complain if a defcustom doesn't have a :group and
there's no preceding defgroup (as was the case in the situation that
started this discussion).  So I don't think it's too much of a problem.

> then if there's more than one defgroup, make sure the defcustom is
> after the right one, then this is an error-prone system which cannot
> be trusted.

Then let's restrict the current system so it also complains if there's
no :group yet there are more than one preceding defgroup.

        Stefan