Re: grep-command: Ignore case if case-fold-search is non-nil

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: grep-command: Ignore case if case-fold-search is non-nil
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2016 17:45:14 +0300

> From: Tino Calancha <address@hidden>
> Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2016 18:31:03 +0900 (JST)
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> Do you think `grep-compute-defaults' should add '-i', i.e., ignore case,
> in the default `grep-command' when `case-fold-search' is non-nil?

case-fold-search defaults to non-nil, so this would make "M-x grep"
case-insensitive for many users.  I'm not sure they will like it.

More generally, it is not clear to me that a the connection between
the buffer from which "M-x grep" is invoked and the search is strong
enough to make the Grep search "inherit" the case-sensitivity of
buffer searches.