Re: Rant on ...

From: Michael Heerdegen
Subject: Re: Rant on ...
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2016 03:17:58 +0100

Lars Ingebrigtsen <address@hidden> writes:

> Yes, that would be very nice.  And a command to expand the `...' under
> point.  If we had those commands, I think we'd cover most of the
> complaints and confusion tied to the *print-le* variables.

FWIW, I chose this different solution for my init file: when I hit a
certain key at any line in the debugger buffer, I get a popup window
that shows the according (clicked) frame as pretty printed lisp
expression in emacs-lisp-mode.  Having a separate buffer has its
advantages, since this expression can be really huge.  The tricky part
is to get the correct frame number to pass to `backtrace-frame'.

Another command pops up a buffer containing the whole backtrace as a
list of lisp expressions.  I chose to bind print-circle -> t for this,
because the frames can share large structures.  With print-circle ->
nil, the individual frame are better readable, but the whole thing gets
even huger.

Michael.