Re: comint fix for shell colors

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: comint fix for shell colors
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2016 12:07:46 +0200

> From: Erik Selberg <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2016 23:14:25 -0800
>
> I've been trying to use shell (vs term / mult-term) with bash / zsh and my
> color prompts. In comint,
> comint-highlight-prompt clobbers the colors. I made the following patch
> against 24.5 but I see comint has
> been updated in 25. What's the right process for adding this for 25? This is
> solved for me locally, but seems
> something that could be added for all.

Please rebase the patch on the current master branch and resubmit.

See also a few minor comments below.

> *** /tmp/comint.el    2016-11-14 23:04:50.000000000 -0800
> --- /Users/selberg/elisp/comint.el    2016-11-14 23:06:36.000000000 -0800
> ***************
> *** 104,109 ****
> --- 104,110 ----
>   (require 'ring)
>   (require 'ansi-color)
>   (require 'regexp-opt)                   ;For regexp-opt-charset.
> + (require 'simple)                       ;For password-word-equivalents

simple.el is preloaded, so there shouldn't be a need to require it.

> + (defcustom comint-do-highlight-prompt t
> +   "Highlight prompt. Set to nil to let underlying process set colors
> (useful for modern shells)"

The first line of the doc string should be a single complete
sentence.  The rest should go to the next lines.

> +   :type 'boolean
> +   :group 'comint
> +   :version "22.1"

Please update the version tag to 26.1.

> +   )

Please don't put closing parentheses on a separate line.

>     "Snapshot the current `comint-last-prompt'.
>   Freezes the `font-lock-face' text property in place."
>     (when comint-last-prompt
> +     (if comint-do-highlight-prompt
>       (with-silent-modifications
>         (add-text-properties
>          (car comint-last-prompt)
>          (cdr comint-last-prompt)
> !        '(font-lock-face comint-highlight-prompt))
> !       )
> !     )

Once again, please put all the closing parentheses on the last line of
their sexp.

>       ;; Reset comint-last-prompt so later on comint-output-filter does
>       ;; not remove the font-lock-face text property of the previous
>       ;; (this) prompt.
> !     (setq comint-last-prompt nil)
> !     ))

Same here.

>             (setq comint-last-prompt
>                   (cons (copy-marker prompt-start) (point-marker)))
> !           (if comint-do-highlight-prompt
> !               (add-text-properties prompt-start (point)
> !                                    '(rear-nonsticky t
> !                                                     font-lock-face
> comint-highlight-prompt))

And here.

Finally, please include with the patch a ChangeLog-style commit log
message for the changes, and a suitable entry for NEWS.

Thanks for working on this.