Re: Regarding performance issues with the Emacs 25.1 Windows-build

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Regarding performance issues with the Emacs 25.1 Windows-build
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2016 05:44:50 +0200

> From: Fernando Febles Armas <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2016 23:35:50 +0000
>
> The new zip files almost double in size the previous ones. I've downloaded
> the i686 version, and there are two
> files with the same content weighting 77Mb each one: 'emacs.exe' and
> 'emacs-25.1.exe'.

You can make a hard link from one to the other to save disk space.
These two executables are so that when you install the next version of
Emacs, you can still access the previous one, if you want.  It's
standard Emacs practice on all platforms.

The size of the binaries is large because it includes debug info.  The
previous build included only a basic debug info, this one includes
much more.  This is important when there are bugs to report.

> Still a bit slower than the 24.5 version. Loading emacs with my init file
> takes 13.2 seconds with 25.1-2, and
> 10.6 with the older 24.5.

Not in my experience, the performance is the same.