Re: GnuTLS per-connection variables

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: GnuTLS per-connection variables
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2016 13:50:30 +0100

Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Ted,

> I looked at migrating gnutls.el to use this new facility. I have some
> questions (and maybe Lars and others can add more).
>
> * how will users see and configure the settings per class?

Connection local variables are specified so far for on Lisp level. No
(end-) user is provided yet.

Let's take the example from the manual:

(connection-local-set-class-variables
  'remote-bash
  '((shell-file-name . "/bin/bash")
    (shell-command-switch . "-c")
    (shell-interactive-switch . "-i")
    (shell-login-switch . "-l")))

(connection-local-set-class-variables
  'remote-null-device
  '((null-device "/dev/null")))

(connection-local-set-classes
  "^/ssh:" 'remote-bash 'remote-null-device)

Then there are two undocumented (in the manual) functions which tel you
the settings:

(connection-local-get-class-variables 'remote-bash)

=> ((shell-file-name . "/bin/bash")
    (shell-command-switch . "-c")
    (shell-interactive-switch . "-i")
    (shell-login-switch . "-l"))

(connection-local-get-classes "^/ssh:")
=> (remote-bash remote-null-device)

> * how will users select the class per server? The NSM may be useful
>   here, since it already does some per-connection checks and storage.

Again, as of today on Lisp level, per `connection-local-set-classes'.

> * how to migrate users from the current defcustoms in
>   (customize-group 'gnutls) to this new system? Do we support both for
>   some time?

That I don't know. Maybe one adds a new defcustom group per server
on-the-fly, and let the variables declare inside every such group. A
post customization function shall move those variables into
connection-local variables then.

And maybe one could write code to support such approach for a general
use case, not only for gnutls.

> Thanks
> Ted

Best regards, Michael.