Re: Preview: portable dumper

From: John Wiegley
Subject: Re: Preview: portable dumper
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2016 11:11:15 -0800

> By contrast, dumping code is a central and mandatory part of building Emacs
> and of its startup process. It cannot be ignored or made optional.

Could we ask Daniel to include his code under an #ifdef, so until it's proven
we can always disable it, or back out the changes easily if need be? I'd like
to entertain the experiment, if we can.

I spent a good chunk of my career working on linkers and loaders, so I'm aware
of some of the complexities we're inviting in. My biggest fear is that things
like this always seem simple initially -- but the devil is in the details.
However, if we maintain a way to trivially back out, I don't see how it can
hurt to give Daniel his room to play. Maybe it could turn out better than we
think?