Re: Preview: portable dumper

From: Daniel Colascione
Subject: Re: Preview: portable dumper
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2016 13:50:26 -0800

On Tue, Nov 29 2016, Paul Eggert wrote:
> On 11/29/2016 01:19 PM, Daniel Colascione wrote:
>> Even*with*  a PIC Emacs (which I hope is the default, because ASLR
>> greatly improves security), we can get these savings if
>> mmap(BASE_ADDRESS_STORED_IN_DUMP, ...) succeeds and we can map the dump
>> where we want.  If we can't map the dump where we want, we'll just
>> relocate it.
>
> Although your other advantages sound good, this one sounds
> worrisome. If Emacs maps the dump to the same place every time, we are
> giving up ASLR for the dump itself, and won't that pose a potential
> security risk? If so, perhaps it would be better to not mmap to the
> base address stored in the dump (unless we can determine that ASLR is
> not in use, I suppose).

The Emacs dump isn't PROT_EXEC though. It's pure* data, and this
difference diminishes the risk considerably, I think. I'd at least like
to make this behavior a user option.

* We do store function pointers in the dump, and an attacker could
  theoretically overwrite one of these to point where she wanted --- but
  with all PROT_EXEC code in the process being randomized, where would
  she point the function pointer that's under her control?