Re: Installing binaries with package.el

From: Clément Pit-Claudel
Subject: Re: Installing binaries with package.el
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2017 08:12:21 -0500

On 2017-02-07 02:22, Marcin Borkowski wrote:
> I have no idea, frankly speaking.  AFAIK, pdf-tools does use /some/
> binary, and is installed via package-install (and AFAIR, I didn't have
> to add anything to the $PATH variable) - so there must be some way it
> does it, and that's practically all I know.  (One more thing, I don't
> know whether it's significant, but I have to reinstall it every time
> I compile a new Emacs.  No idea why exactly.)

I see, thanks.  AFAICT, pdf-tools does not install a systel-level binary; it
just compiles a C program as part of its installation procedure, and then calls
it — but it does not try to expose that binary to the user.  This means among
other things that it doesn't need to create files outside of its installation
folder, for example.

My case is a bit different.  The binary is just a bash wrapper around an Emacs
Lisp program, so I don't have compilation-related issues; I do, however, want
my users to be able to call the program easily, which probably means that I
want to create binaries outside of my package's installation folder (which in
turns has consequences on uninstallation behaviour: deleting the installation
folder isn't enough).

Cheers,
Clément.