Re: mouse-wheel-scroll

From: Tak Kunihiro
Subject: Re: mouse-wheel-scroll
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2017 18:04:50 +0900 (JST)

> >> In my environment with defaults, turning the wheel one click scrolls
>> >
>> > Did you customize your system's mouse speed?  It sounds strange that a
>> > single click scrolls 15 lines by default.  Is that what happens with
>> > other applications?
>>
>> On my system `acceleration' is set to middle.  Wheel one click scrolls
>> 1 line on Firefox and 75 lines on Emacs.
>>
>> With `acceleration’ none, wheel one click scrolls 1 line on Firefox
>> and 5 lines on Emacs.  On this condition, because of lack of acceleration
>> scroll gets too slow on other applications.
>
> Very strange.  On my system, with acceleration turned on, one click
> scrolls about 2 to 7 lines in several applications I tried.  Emacs
> scrolls 5, and so does Firefox.
>
>> I think argument is if Emacs assumes acceleration by system.
>
> Not here.
>
> I'm not sure what to make of this issue.  It seems the results of
> scrolling by the wheel differ widely across systems, so customizations
> are necessary in any case, and altering the defaults will not change
> that.

How about putting an example into @file{frames.texi}, soon after
description of @code{mouse-wheel-progressive-speed}?  Here is a draft.

  Occasionally scrolling by a ``wheel'' or a ``touchpad'' is accelerated
  by system.  In such case, default configuration may scroll too fast.
  If so, for example, you can add the following lines to your init file
  (@pxref{Init File}) to scroll less.

  @example
  (setq mouse-wheel-scroll-amount '(1 ((shift) . 5) ((control))))
  (setq mouse-wheel-progressive-speed nil)
  @end example