Re: master has switched from Automake to GNU Make

From: Michal Nazarewicz
Subject: Re: master has switched from Automake to GNU Make
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2017 18:21:01 +0200

On Tue, Apr 11 2017, martin rudalics wrote:
>  > If you merge that commit or any child of it *with*
>  > conflicts (the conflicts can be unrelated) then the whitespace check
>  > is triggered when you commit the resolution.
>
> I have definitively encountered this case before too.
>
>  > Furthermore, I believe the whitespace check is only installed if you
>  > run './autogen git' or './autogen all'. If you just plain './autogen'
>  > then the git hooks are not installed.
>
> I always run './autogen.sh' because IIRC that is (or at least was) the
> recommended way.
>
>  > I guess most people are rebasing instead of merging or didn't install
>  > the git hooks and hence don't see this kind of failure.
>
> I never rebase.  Whether and how I installed the hooks is beyond my
> knowledge.  But IIUC Michael who committed the changes in
> SpecialCasing.txt did not install the hook.

$ ll .git/hooks/
total 16
-rwx------ 1 mpn eng  452 Dec  3  2014 applypatch-msg*
-rwx------ 1 mpn eng 4002 Jan 28  2016 commit-msg*
-rwx------ 1 mpn eng  398 Dec  3  2014 pre-applypatch*
-rwx------ 1 mpn eng 1419 Jul 27  2016 pre-commit*
$ grep -ve ^# -e ^\$ .git/hooks/pre-commit
LC_ALL=C
export LC_ALL
exec >&2
. git-sh-setup
git_diff='git diff --cached --name-only --diff-filter=A'
ok_chars='\0+[=-=]./0-9A-Z_a-z'
nbadchars=`$git_diff -z HEAD | tr -d "$ok_chars" | wc -c`
if test "$nbadchars" -ne 0; then
  echo "File name does not consist of -+./_ or ASCII letters or digits."
  exit 1
fi
for new_name in `$git_diff HEAD`; do
  case $new_name in
    -* | */-*)
      echo "$new_name: File name component begins with '-'."
      exit 1;;
    ChangeLog | */ChangeLog)
      echo "$new_name: Please use git commit messages, not ChangeLog files."
      exit 1;;
  esac
done
$ grep -ve ^# -e ^\$ .git/hooks/pre-applypatch
. git-sh-setup
test -x "$GIT_DIR/hooks/pre-commit" &&
        exec "$GIT_DIR/hooks/pre-commit" ${1+"$@"}
:

I cannot confirm that those were there when I was pushing
SpecialCasing.txt but my guess would be yes.

--
Best regards
ミハウ “𝓶𝓲𝓷𝓪86” ナザレヴイツ