Re: scroll-down with pixel transition

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: scroll-down with pixel transition
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2017 12:04:06 +0300

> From: Tak Kunihiro <address@hidden>
> Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2017 17:40:48 +0900
> Cc: Kunihiro Tak <address@hidden>,
>  address@hidden
>
> >> Yes.  I attach a package in a middle.  With this Emacs scrolls a line
> >> with pixel transition but ONLY upward.
> >
> > Thanks.  AFAICT, this exhibits the same problem I was talking about:
> > after pixel-level scrolling, if the first screen line of the window is
> > not completely visible, typing C-n or C-p will scroll the window to
> > make it fully visible, thus undoing the effect of the pixel-level
> > scroll.  Isn't that what you see?
>
> Not really, because it checks (line-pixel-height) before scrolling and
> scrolls up until fully visible.  There is no chance to move point into
> partially visible line.

I think there's a misunderstanding.  Here's a recipe:

  emacs -Q
  M-x load-file RET pixel-scroll.el RET
  M-x pixel-scroll-mode RET
  M-x set-variable RET pixel-resolution-fine-p RET
  C-x C-f some-file RET
  C-u C-u C-n
  Scroll slowly with the mouse-wheel, one click at a time, until the
    first screen line is partially visible
  C-n

The last C-n causes a scroll which undoes the pixel-level scroll.  The
first screen line is now fully visible, and window's vscroll is now
zero.

Am I missing something?