Re: Enabling --enable-check-lisp-object-type by default on x86 and AMD64

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Enabling --enable-check-lisp-object-type by default on x86 and AMD64
Date: Wed, 3 May 2017 11:08:23 -0700

On 05/03/2017 07:48 AM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
Would it help to add a line "set print frame-arguments all" to
src/.gdbinit?
Only partially.  People who report backtraces seldom bother to start
GDB from the Emacs's src directory, let alone source .gdbinit by hand.
Moreover, latest versions of GDB refuse to auto-load .gdbinit files
from random directories, unless you put some magic in your ~/.gdbinit
(which most people don't).

This problem is not new. It should be OK to continue ask developers to source .gdbinit, to compile with -O0, etc. If we can't assume that, the backtrace is already problematic, and the recent change doesn't make it much worse.

this setting doesn't affect only
Lisp_Object, it affects any non-scalar arguments, so it has
non-trivial downsides of its own (which I guess is why it is not the
default).

True. How about using GDB pretty-printers instead? E.g., add something like the attached file as src/gdb-pretty.py, and add the line "source gdb-pretty.py" to src/.gdbinit. That way, only Lisp_Object values are affected, rather than all structs.