Re: Enabling --enable-check-lisp-object-type by default on x86 and AMD64

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Enabling --enable-check-lisp-object-type by default on x86 and AMD64
Date: Fri, 5 May 2017 16:23:52 -0700

On 05/03/2017 11:22 AM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
This is better, but how sure we are people's GDB is built with Python
support?

We can ask developers to upgrade. GDB pretty-printing has worked with embedded Python for several years (since GDB 7.3 in 2011, I believe). We are not talking about general Emacs users here, only developers who are building bleeding-edge Emacs from Git. It's reasonable to expect these folks to have reasonably modern tools, especially since the only problem here is that the backtrace will be a bit harder to read if they use an old GDB.

Why not make this part of .gdbinit itself?

Sure, we can do that.

Also, the Python script should be a bit smarter, to support also the
compilation without --enable-check-lisp-object-type.  When I try this
script in such a build, GDB crashes when displaying a backtrace.
Also doable.

I installed the attached, which I hope addresses the above issues well enough.