Re: Native line numbers, final testing

From: Richard Copley
Subject: Re: Native line numbers, final testing
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2017 17:35:16 +0100

On 3 July 2017 at 16:24, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:

> Maybe with C-n/C-p people will expect what you expected in the case of
> line numbers (but I'd like to hear more opinions before I'm convinced
> to change the code to do that)

In my opinion it is important for the column position resulting from
C-n and C-p to be simple and predictable. I often rely on those
commands in keyboard macros. A simple example:

C-d 0 C-b C-n
C-d 1 C-b C-n
C-d 2 C-p C-p

This is supposed to change the character at point to 0 and the
characters in the corresponding column in the next two lines to 1
and 2.

I think that's a common use case and it won't work if
display-line-numbers is on ...

Or will it? I'm afraid I got quite confused trying to test this.
I think I found a different bug. Recipe:

Open xdisp.c and go to line 30, column 30.
Type "C-d C-n C-d C-n C-d C-n C-d C-n"
The first C-n goes to column 30 on line 31 as expected.
The 2nd C-n goes to column 29 on line 31 (expected column 30).
The 3rd C-n goes to column 28 on line 31 (expected 30 (or 29?)).
The 4th C-n goes to column 27 on line 31.

Not sure if this is the same on master.