Re: Summary and next steps for (package-initialize)

From: Nathan Moreau
Subject: Re: Summary and next steps for (package-initialize)
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2017 00:30:23 +0200

Hello,

> So I propose,

I really like the proposal, except that I would prefer to force
the call to package-initialize if something goes wrong (with
a warning written in the *Messages* buffer) instead of a prompt.

The idea being that

- this seems like a reasonable (a setup with `(package-initialize)'
  as only package.el stuff is quite common)

- while remaining backward compatible with existing configurations

- and makes users that don't want package.el happy: they don't need to
  put anything related to it in their configuration code, and the its
  code is unloaded as long as their configuration loads cleanly.

Nathan