Re: Summary and next steps for (package-initialize)

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Summary and next steps for (package-initialize)
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2017 20:02:30 +0300

> From: Nikolay Kudryavtsev <address@hidden>
> Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2017 18:57:30 +0300
>
> So I propose, we don't do anything until user either:
>
> 1. Requires something that's not available.
>
> 2. Calls a function that's not available.
>
> In either of those cases we check whether (package-initialize) was already
> called. And, if not, we give user an
> interactive window along the lines of:
>
>  "You tried to call X which is not available and Emacs package manager was
> not initialized. Press:
>
>  i to initialize and try again
>
>  w to initialize, try again and don't ask again
>
>  x to dismiss
>
>  K to dissmiss and never ask again."
>
> w writes (package-initialize) to init)

IME, annoying users in this way is not welcome in this community.
Doing this once is borderline, doing this multiple times in the same
session is going to annoy too much, I think.

And anyway, I don't see how this solves the problem of packages being
loaded when the user said not to by customizing package-load-list.
Your proposal in effect will load packages after Emacs reads ~/.emacs,
which is what we do now, so how is it different?